||HFA: School for Creative Studies - Detroit, Mich.
||SUMMARY OF PURPOSE:
Full charge accountant maintaining all aspects of accounting for a non-profit school district and management company.
- Work with school district officials in preparation of the annual budget, as well as preparing any budget amendments deemed necessary.
- Enter budget into accounting system and analysis documents.
- Work with school district officials in submitting various grant compliance requirements, and oversee management and budgeting of the schools’ grants and other sources of revenue
- Process disbursements and receipts. Ensure adequate documentation is obtained and filed in accordance with audit and internal control policies.
- Reconcile transactions between the school management company and the school.
- Prepare and analyze month-end financial statements, including balance sheet, budget to actual statement, and statement of cash flows, and post related journal entries. Prepare monthly bank accounts reconciliations in a timely and accurate manner.
- Submit school payroll and prepare and post bi-weekly payroll journal entry into the general ledger
- Work with auditors to facilitate year-end audit; prepare work-papers and provide documentation as required by auditors.
- Prepare annual State of Michigan financial report – FID.
- Prepare any schedules needed by tax preparers.
- Meet with staff on a regular basis to review each area’s budgets and spending.
- Assist in developing, implementing, and maintaining internal controls.
Implementation of HFA Model—
- Provide consistent focus on and reinforcement of Public School in a Public Space and Work Place as the Learning Space
- Be an active contributor in the shared decision-making process at the team and whole staff level
- Participate actively in professional development workshops and sessions provided by HFA:SCS, the HFA Network of Schools, and the College for Creative Studies
- Establish individual goals and work toward the accomplishment of increased professional capacity
- Maintain an attitude of continuous learning through professional reflection and active collaboration with colleagues
- Work as an active member of the HFA professional learning community
Student recruitment and induction—
- Collaborate to develop specific strategies to recruit students each year
- Participate actively in planned activities to introduce school to potential families and students
- Meet all obligations as set out in the HFA Staff Handbook
Director of Business Operations
Physical: Sitting: 70% Standing/walking: 30%
Lifting: Not significant
Vision: Able to work on desktop and laptop computers, and read written material
Mental: Able to handle various challenges and projects and work with a variety of other people in a collaborative manner
Environment: Middle and High School Office.
- Minimum of Associate’s degree in Accounting with a Bachelor’s degree in accounting/CPA preferred;
- Minimum of 2 years fund or school accounting experience including general ledger entry and maintenance.
- Thorough understanding of functional reporting and/or grant reporting.
- Experience working with Microsoft office (especially Word and Excel) is required. QuickBooks experience would be helpful with the school’s pending transition from QuickBooks to a school based accounting system.
Creative Urban Education is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion,
national origin, marital status, height, weight, age, unrelated disability or other legally protected status.
- Strong work ethic with proven ability to work quickly and efficiently
- High degree of resourcefulness and problem solving ability
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Extreme attention to detail, demonstrated ability to organize
- Strong interest in being part of a team committed to ensuring that all kids have access to a high quality public education
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter online at www.hfli.org/somethingbigger